Reception Manager – The Water Tower Inn
The Reception Manager leads our Guest Services Associates with passion, drive, and enthusiasm. Training, coaching, managing, supporting and mentoring is an on-going and continuous responsibility.
This position reports directly to the Assistant General Manager – Rooms and works in collaboration with supervisors and management in all departments. The Reception Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the Front Office Department, Administrative Duties and providing support to the Director of Sales where necessary.
The Water Tower Inn is an unique hotel with 176 rooms & suites, and a strong connection to the local community. Read more about our Inn…
Key Job Responsibilities
- As the Reception Manager, your duties will be structured to be completed on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. You may also be assigned additional duties and responsibilities.
- You will be expected to cover reception shifts based on the business levels of the hotel and the needs for shift coverage based on staff illness or short-term pickup in occupancy.
- Work with the Sales Team on effective Sales & Marketing strategies.
- Assist the Reception Staff in high traffic check-in and check-out periods.
- Work with the management team, ensuring that the daily front desk procedures are completed in a timely fashion.
- Train, coach, develop and supervise according to created guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain standards of guest service as established by ownership and the General Manager.
- Evaluate and manage a weekly schedule based on business levels while ensuring that the reception department has coverage at all times.
- Conduct performance reviews of all Reception Staff.
- Oversee ongoing training for all Reception Staff.
- Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics which inspire team members to meet and exceed standards, and promote team member empowerment.
- Build morale and spirit among the team. Embrace and share the goals of the Enterprise for Algoma’s Water Tower Inn & Suites.
- Interact positively with guests and take action to resolve problems to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
- Continually look for ways to reduce expenses and drive revenues. Additionally, driving the team towards the department goals.
- Follow cash handling and auditing procedures as outlined by the General Manager and Accounting Department.
- Ensure that proper procedure for dealing with guest illness or injury, system failures, fire alarms, robbery, security incidents and other emergencies are followed if they occur. Report unsafe conditions, as appropriate.
- Must have the ability to perform other tasks or projects as assigned by hotel management and staff.
- Attend all scheduled shifts, including shift work and weekend work by the schedules.
- Assist with Internet and Third Party Rates to ensure that revenue is maximized.
- Assist the Management Team to setup and maintain all Property Management System rates.
- Assist the DOS and Sales team with developing and maintaining the existing corporate client base.
- Other duties as is assigned
- Must have a passion for delivering outstanding customer care and service.
- Self motivated, decisive, responsible and driven to achieve goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to think independently, possess good judgment, proven problem-solving skills and effective decision-making skills.
- Must be organized and detail oriented with strong multi-tasking skills.
- Must be able to stand for an entire shift to continuously perform essential job functions.
- Proficient in computer and systems use. Previous experience with a variety of Hotel Property Management Systems is considered an advantage.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays.
Education & Experience
- Minimum three years of Hotel experience with one year in managerial capacity.
- Proficient in Word and Excel.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Experience with PMS systems an asset.